Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Catching Up

Sunday, Jim and I went out to Bristow, Va. to spend the afternoon and have an early dinner with our friends who used to live next door, Kim and Chris Devine (isn't that a great name?), and then catch the Allman Brothers (www.AllmanBrothersBand.com) concert at Nissan Pavillion, which is about 5 minutes from their new place. Kim and Chris had another baby, Spencer, in May, and we hadn't met him yet, nor had I gotten a photo of the mural I had done for Carter (who is now 4!) in his bedroom earlier that month, so it was a big day. It was lovely to see them. Both parents and both boys are doing fine. The concert was great, of course, and the weather wasn't too bad once the sun went down, with a little cool breeze even happening by on occasion - AND, no thunderstorms!

Monday and Tuesday I spent most of the day at American University as the D.C. art teachers in the curriculum development program were giving their final presentations from the summer workshops. As part of my job as external evaluator/validator of the program, I needed to see what they had accomplished. For three weeks, they had participated in an architecture workshop, focusing on the architecture of D.C., in the mornings, and a related math (mainly geometry) and social studies workshop in the afternoon, and their final presentations in the form of unit and lesson plans for the coming year reflected the incorporation of their new knowledge.
They will pilot these plans during the Fall and we will all meet again on December 3 for them to present their results. In the meantime, I also have paper documentation and evaluations to analyze and assess. There have been a few glitches, but on the whole, the program is inspired, inspiring, and has run very smoothly so far. This is the second year of a three year project, which will result in a curriculum guide and a city wide student art fair next year. And we may have a grant to do it again, starting with a whole new group next year.

Today I am catching up a little and getting back into my usual schedule. Went to Curves this a.m., where everyone is bemoaning the weather and the Supreme Court nominee, myself included, and then took some film in to get developed. Got a call from my friend who has adopted four special needs children just to see if I would be home later this evening so we could talk. Another something horrible has apparently happened in/with the DC foster care/social services sytem, but she didn't have time to tell me about it yet, so I'll have to wait and hear about it later. I only hope I can say or do something that will help. But for now, all I can do is wait for her to call to see what the problem is, so I guess it's back to catching up and putting things in order. I guess I should probably give some thought to taking that now overdue, post-Curves work out shower!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home