Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Seems to be a Theme

It's a beautiful day, and I felt like I needed to do something special for myself today, so I took a run down to NMWA to see the new exhibit "Divine and Human: Images of Women in Ancient Mexico and Peru" (http://www.nmwa.org/exhibition/detail.asp?exhibitid=136). From the article about it in the magazine "Religion permeated every aspect of pre-Hispanic life. It was thought that every natural occurrence was an expression of the will of the gods, and every human undertaking was an attempt to obey that will. Mesoamerican women considered their own lives to be reflections of those of their goddesses, which gave religious significance to every task, from planting crops, cooking, and weaving to giving birth." Some of the pottery was really stunningly beautiful and surprisingly well done; some was more than a little risque; some reminded me of concretions and a couple of my painting of "Original Virgin Mother, Earth." It is a wonderful exhibit.

I stopped in at the Phillips (http://www.phillipscollection.org/) on my way home to see the Degas, Sickert and Toulouse-Lautrec exhibit, which I liked in one way a little better - it was paintings, so I could study. I also saw a few of my old favorites before leaving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home