Saturday, December 08, 2007

Extraordinary (E)Mail Week

This week I received an email from a dear college friend I haven't seen or heard from in over 30 years. He said he just wanted to "drop a line, say hello, and reminisce a bit." I told my Mom about it and she remembered him very well as the "sweet young man" he was...he remembered that we used to call Katy "Binky." !...and apparently had as good an impression of my parents and family as Mom did of him.

I also received an email from a former MVC student, one who graduated in 1996. She had gone into teaching herself and perhaps because of that had been bothered all these years by a matter of conscience during a class she had taken with me, so wanted to apologize! But she also wanted to say how much she valued the enormous amount of time and attention both I and other MVC professors of hers gave to our students on an individual basis and that she tried to do the same with hers...and that she also still told everyone about my spinach lasagne...the best she's ever tasted to this day.

I also received an email from Stacey, my "little" writing protege, for whom I provided initial support and direction several years ago when she first sent me her writing and asked me what I thought of it, did it show any talent, any promise? What should she do? The answer was yes, it definitely did. So, from an initial toe dabbling into a couple of non-credit creative writing courses to build her confidence, she applied for and got admitted to a creative writing Master's program. Over the course of the past few years I have been reading her writing...and she mine.....and now the news is that she has finished the first draft of that book she's been working on, she will be taking her last class for the Master's degree in the spring, and that she taught a composition class at the community college where she works this fall and feels confident that teaching is the direction in which she wants to go. I'm very proud of her! !!

All of these emails amazed me...and continue to amaze me. Life. Sometimes it makes me want to cry for joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home