Friday, January 18, 2008

Kitchen Caravan Dot Com

So, I trudged out in the snow and rain and cold to wait for the bus to take me to the subway to get to Etete Restaurant by 2 p.m. yesterday to meet the lovely young women of the online cooking show Kitchen Caravan. Emma and Sophie arrived shortly after I and Ben Tesfaye, Yared's younger brother and the youngest of the three who had invested in the restaurant for their mother, the owner and chef. Emma and Sophie were doing an episode on Ethiopian cooking and wanted to interview me in connection with the work of Girls Gotta Run. They thought it would be good to do it in an actual Ethiopian restaurant, so I recommended Etete, both because their food is fabulous and because they had donated the food for our first event in September 2006.

We had a ball! I hadn't met Ben before, but he is just as charming as his older brother, and Emma and Sophie couldn't be more personable. We chatted, they filmed (first me and then Ben and his mother), and then Etete (means "Mother" in Amharic) herself cooked us a great meal to sample, including meat done with the special spice mixture she invented herself. They also insisted we sample their home made honey wine. Wow. Yum, yum, yummy! I headed back through the cold and slush about 4. What a lovely way to spend the afternoon. What a great job they have made for themselves!

Look for the episode in two or three weeks at www.kitchencaravan.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home