Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Great Banana Sticker War


Charlotte, Anja and Ella stopped by to visit last night on their way back from getting ice cream and before "Uncle Jimmy" got home from work. Charlotte reported that her summer camp workshop at Imagination Stage is going well, and Anja reported that at her new babysitter's house, Ella, who is barely 1 & 1/2, had virtually entirely potty trained herself in the last few weeks. But Charlotte was in a reading mood, so she got the book and sat herself in "the big chair" with Ella and me, and we read "Aunt Isabel Tells A Good One" once again. Then we all trooped upstairs so they could see the new pansy painting, which is still hanging out on the easel.

On the way down I noticed Charlotte eying up the pictures lining the stairs. I assumed she was checking for banana stickers on the pictures of the "girls" (Sister Carey and Sister Kaye) as Uncle Jimmy sometimes puts them on those photos if the ones on the buffet get too cluttered up. There weren't any, though, so I assumed she was satisfied, and I never saw her checking out the ones on the buffet. So this morning when Uncle Jimmy discovered that she had taken the banana stickers off the photos there, I was quite surprised. Charlotte usually announces with great bravado that she is removing them and throwing them away, as she regards it as the greatest sacrilege for Uncle Jimmy to deface the lovely photos of her beloved Carey and her soulmate Kaye. And then, of course, Uncle Jimmy starts putting them back on again. This has been going on for about a year. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Charlotte no longer feels the need to announce her actions, as she also informed me last night that she is the boss of Uncle Jimmy. Fortunately for The Goofy One I had just recently taken a photo of the pictures on the buffet, as I thought the banana stickers stuck on this time were particularly artfully arranged, so all is not lost. But it will certainly be interesting to see how this "who's the boss" question/conversation is resolved. Perhaps with a game of Old Bachelor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home