Saturday, March 04, 2006

What My Student Told Me

I asked one of my former students if she had seen the 48 Hours show. She said that when she worked for CEDPA, Mormons "owned" their contract. I had no idea what she meant so asked her. This is what she wrote back:

"Most of the federal gov't is contracted out. USAID's labor force are (were - this changed after Natzio's left) contractors. So there was one main contract that hired the PhD technical people - called CEDPA. CEDPA was a woman's leadership non profit that got big money for staffingUSAID and doing staff trainings. Then there are the various fellowships- Michigan Univ, Hopkins, Population Council... They pay for junior level technical people to staff. The few direct hires were either the program staff (money people) and the higher ups such as division chiefs or office directors.

Then there are the support services -- money pushers, paper pushers, receptionists, admin assistants. That contract was owned by Pal-Tech. I worked for Pal-Tech so my client was USAID. I had a USAID badge, USAID email, USAID everything but the contract I worked under (salary,benefits, vacation, daily management, HR) was Pal-Tech. I was hourly. Pal-Tech charged USAID say $30 an hour for me then pal-Tech would pay me$18 an hour and keep the difference for a profit.

The owner of Pal-Tech - Omar Kader is a Palestinian Mormon who got an 8-A contract (minority owned contract - preferential bidding) and made $30 Million in 5 years. He got so big he had to sub under a 8-A when our contract came up for re-bid. Omar would go and speak at BY Univ and bring in these wealthy privileged Mormon kids (he was supposed to be bringing on minorities/underprivileged) to the contract. They hired like one or two Indians. I was brought and I was the only peace corps volunteer for 3 years -- at USAID!! I had 5 friends all interview there with peace corps experience and masters degrees -- they all got passed on for Mormons.

They have their own network. Omar tried to make it look like he was down with ALL the employees -- but he really only liked to work with other Mormons. Some gossip - his son Tariq -- was dating my co worker. Well they get married, she gets pregnant (un planned) on the honeymoon. He cheats on her all through the pregnancy. He doesn't come home at night. Omar bought them a 4 bedroom house in Reston and a Lexus station wagon. Son is working in Omar's company comes in drunk and starts dating interns--- no one can say anything to Omar because a) it's his son b) he's married to our friend c) he is supposed to be all moral because he is Mormon. Well wife leaves him, dad catches wind - cuts son off, wife sells house and takes the baby with no more contact. I hear Omar lost a lot of respect in the church for that one.

So yeah, I know a lot about the Mormons. I did read Under the Banner ofHeaven -- can you say CULT??!!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, you really are creepy. To pass on lies like that about another person without caring about the consequences of it being online. I would know since i am the son your gossiping about. None of that happened and it's pretty cruel to talk like that about another persons life when you don't know what your talking about and there are children involved. Not to mention just being wrong. But by all means just leave lies up on the web under your name. You must be quite a human being.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home