Sunday, April 16, 2006

This Little Life of Mine

The week before last I started painting “Twins,” the portrait of Kaye’s boys, Thomas and Taylor. I’m not calling it that because they are twins, but because that is what it says on their matching t-shirts. Had scheduled this past Thursday to work on it, all day, and was really looking forward to it. But Anja called on her way home from work on Wednesday evening and asked me, because she was in a bind with childcare, if I could look after Ella for a few hours on Thursday. So I did that in the morning, thinking I would still be able to paint in the afternoon. But after I walked Ella in the stroller over to the Embassy Suites where Charlotte and their great grandmother were, rested and chatted for a while and got back home, it was already about 2:30, I had a splitting headache, and I still needed a shower, so I never did get to paint on Thursday.

I held a good thought for Friday, but of course, had overdone it and woke up Friday a.m. realizing I had triggered my fibro symptoms and was ill all day. I felt better yesterday, so I went to Curves to make up for missing Friday, but I still didn't have enough energy to work, so I rested and read most of the afternoon, a new book which I really like “Work, Love, Children” by Cheryl Mendelson. She also wrote “Morningside Heights,” which I really liked. Meantime, Jim had gotten up super early and headed to the office to work for several hours preparing for a Board meeting this week. He got home about 1 and ate a quick lunch and went biking with Gordon, which I was glad of because he really hadn’t gotten any exercise all week and is putting on another pound or two again….the creeping pounds.

We were planning a quiet evening at home, but our friend Oliver called from the Madison airport to say that he, Kate and Natalie were coming in for a couple of days and wanted to know if we could meet them and his parents at the Club for dinner. Of course we were delighted to do that and had a lovely dinner and visit with all of them. We took turns letting Natalie stretch her legs running around outside in the beautiful evening weather on the beautifully landscaped grounds. I had two cosmopolitans so didn’t stay awake long after we got home and hit the hay.

Beautiful day again today – no rain as they kept predicting – so after reading the paper and eating brunch, we relined the path in the back yard from the deck to the fence, taking out the bricks that line it, raking off the chips and dirt down to the hard dirt, and then putting down the new liner and holding it on by putting the bricks back in place over the edge of it. Then we put some of the old chips and dirt back down and two new bags of cedar chips. It looks really great and we were very proud of ourselves.

Unfortunately we both developed a bit of a headache, I think due to the high pollen count, so after I showered and took some aspirin and decongestant, I laid down for awhile to read and rest/nap, and he took some things, too, and then went down the basement to watch t.v., read, and rest. Moo called from mom’s a little while ago to say Happy Easter, and then I made some tea and we had tea and brownies, which I had made yesterday, for a snack.

I’ve got pork chops for dinner and apple sauce and I’ll make some Cuban black beans and rice, and we’ll have a laid back evening, too. Nice day, really.

I have reserved Tuesday and Thursday of this coming week for painting, and I am allowing no sidetracking or interruptions. Although I didn’t mind taking care of Ella as she is a funny little thing and pretty easy, and I enjoyed meeting Bill’s grandmother, I am feeling cranky about not having gotten to paint, so I’m going to make sure nothing sidetracks me this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home