Saturday, July 22, 2006

A Bit Frantically Trying to Catch Up

So, things pile up when you're gone for three weeks! Despite himself's valiant efforts to take over and keep things alive, clean and tidy, I came home to find some flowers needing a little more water than they had been getting, the yard needing trimming, papers piled up - albeit very neatly - the refrigerator empty....and me with a pile of my own dirty clothes...and mail to sort....prescriptions to refill... and needing to hit the ground running, as it were, for Girls Gotta Run.

Starting at the front steps before I even took my suitcase in the house, I watered and did some trimming and deadheading and took the stacked up recycling around. Taking advantage of the empty frig, on Thursday a.m., I cleaned it before spending a quick $100 plus at the grocery store to restock it and the laundry supplies, changed the sheets on the bed, sorted and started on the wash, and almost immediately refilled the recycling with old bottles from the frig and the paper bin with the few W. Posts I actually wanted to see before I threw them out.

Friday a.m. I tackled the back yard, starting with the out of control hydrangea, which I pruned back ruthlessly and still had some steam to start on the holly bushes before filling two huge yard trash bags with the cuttings. I started making and returning phone calls yesterday afternoon and getting caught up on some email business and was finally rescued from myself by Charlotte and Ella and Anja, who came over after school and work to ask if I wanted to go for ice cream. I countered with an offer of juice bars for the girls and a cosmo for Anja and was enthusiastically accepted.

So they stayed and chatted and noshed - and Charlotte took Ella downstairs for a viewing of "The Paperbag Princess" - for a couple of hours until after Jim got home from work and we started dinner. Then Anja went home, leaving the girls because they weren't quite ready...Charlotte followed soon after, but Ella hung out, had some dinner with us, farted around while I did dishes and then sneaked upstairs to surprise Uncle Jimmy and hung out with us and played with the stuffed animals and us until finally I told her it was time to go home. She didn't take to the idea immediately, but when I gave her a choice of either walking down the stairs or my carrying her, she forgot she didn't want to go and chose to walk herself, holding my hand.

I had caught up enough by this morning that I was actually able to start making a list of the things I had left to do. It originally numbered only 12, and I've been able to scratch off some stuff so far today, but as my lists are wont to do, it grows even as I cross things off. C'est la vie. At least I'm feeling a little less frantic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home