Monday, October 10, 2005

Enough Religion and Politics

for now. My personal week-end has been lovely, starting with a long catch-up visit with Cindy on Saturday a.m. I had to report the telephone service was out, undoubtedly due to the storm somehow, so went to her house to do it, since I wanted to take over Devon's wedding present and see the wedding pictures, anyhow. When I got back I had a quick bite of lunch and spent the afternoon painting, working on a (commissioned) portrait of the husband of a friend of mine, a Christmas present for him. Then I took a little walk around the neighborhood just to get out of the house for awhile and to stretch my legs. I also picked up a baking potato at the Safeway for dinner. Jim went to the cabin on Friday morning to help his Dad with some projects this week-end, and we had quite a few left-overs, so food preparation is a lot less time-consuming than usual.

Yesterday a.m. I discovered the phone was already back on, had gotten reconnected in the middle of the night, so I called to cancel the service order and then settled in with the Sunday paper. Mom called to check in on me about mid-morning, before she left for the Bayfield Apple Festival to ride on the firetruck for the Democrats, and we had a long talk. Then I called Jim to let him know we were back in phone business. They really hadn't been able to get much done because it had also rained like crazy up there, but he was having fun anyway, doing mostly nothing.

I finished the paper and ate something and Kathleen called just as I was heading out to buy another canvas. Tried to call my sisters when I got back, but neither one was home, so did some light housekeeping and a little reading in the afternoon and about 4:30 or so Charlotte called and wanted to come over to visit so I said, "Sure, let's catch up!" Her mother and sister have been in Germany for about a week and a half and are due back on Wednesday, so she and her Dad have been home alone and Charlotte was feeling, I think, the need for a little female companionship. We had tea and she had her usual bread and butter. I had popped a California Pizza Kitchen spinach and cheese pizza in the oven, so had some of that with mine and then we tried to call Carey again. They were home, but Carey had a headache, so I talked to John a little and then we both talked to Sarah, who was feeling better, again, from her bouts with strep throat.

Charlotte decided to go home about 6:30 when we were looking at the TV guide and she asked me if she could have it and I told her she had her own that came with their copy of the Sunday Washington Post. She was so excited she had to go home and see for herself. At that point I settled in for the night with the Sunday night shows and my Tama Janowitz book of essays on New York City, "Area Code 212."

The Goofy One should be coming home today. He's not sure if he's going to be able to get a run in on the Roe Jan before he leaves or not. It might still be too high from all the rain, but if so, he's going to try to do that. Although yesterday was still cold and overcast (ha, ha!), it's a beautiful sunshiny day today and Cindy and I are planning to go out for lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home