Friday, December 01, 2006

Today is World AIDS Day

I remember the first time I heard of AIDS. It was around 1982 and I learned of it from a student in one of my classes when I was teaching at the University of Maryland, College Park, finishing my Ph.D. AIDS had hardly gotten a start, but those who knew of it were very alarmed and were trying to head it off at the pass. My student was a campus volunteer health educator. Obviously, their efforts were pretty much in vain, which I kinda felt at the time. Not that it wasn't worth the effort and that I don't think it saved some people, but on the whole, it seemed that it probably wouldn't stop the thing from mushrooming the way it did....and it didn't. And here we are, 25 years later, millions dead and still dying. It's hard to wrap your mind around it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home