Thursday, September 22, 2005

An Amazing Woman, Dead at 93

Molly Yard, past president of NOW, died yesterday
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/21/AR2005092102226.html.
I met her on a few occasions, both before and after she had her stroke. The one time I met her afterwards was at a fundraising lunch given by my friend Paula McKenzie when she chaired DC NOW. Jim came with me, and we were two of only about 6 or 8 people there altogether. Molly had trouble speaking, but she was still a powerful presence. My friend Paula revered her. I am sure Paula is very, very sad today. And the world is poorer for Ms Yard's loss. She was one of the great ones. Not as well known as leaders like Gloria Steinem or Betty Friedan to the public, perhaps, but she surely made at least as big a difference as any of them. Rest in peace, Molly. You did good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home