Friday, April 21, 2006

Jane?

Neighbor Kathleen and I went to hear Jane Fonda be interviewed about her book at the Avalon Theater last night. She was unexpectedly amusing, and I enjoyed it more than I realize I had expected to.

I was a little taken aback when the Politics and Prose events coordinator, a young man in his late 20's or early 30's, I would say, announced that "Jane" would sign copies of her book after the interview and a question and answer session with the audience. I wondered if by any chance he had somehow become an intimate acquaintaince already. Not one other person, including her interviewer, called her that. Everyone else addressed her as "Ms Fonda." Did she SAY to him, "Call me Jane" maybe? I'm no Emily Post, but this struck me as really inappropriate, and for some reason, it's still boggling my mind today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home