Saturday, April 29, 2006

Thirty-five Years in 150 Words or Less

I am attending my 35th college reunion in July. Along with the registration form, we were asked to send in a "biographical sketch" of 100-150 words. Here's what I finally sent in:

After Northland, I moved to Washington, D.C., where I worked for the National Student Association and then as a high school English teacher while attaining my Master’s degree from George Mason University. My husband and I spent a year in upstate New York before I started my Ph.D. at the University of Maryland, College Park. Upon completion of that, I taught at a local women’s college for 12 years, achieving tenured Associate Professor status before retiring and starting my career as an artist. Now I specialize in commissioned art of all kinds (http://members.purespeed.com/~peo/) and have recently, in conjunction with several others in the Washington, D.C. area, started an organization devoted to raising funds, via “shoe” art exhibits and sales, to buy running shoes for Ethiopian girls training to be runners in order to be able to stay in school and avoid being sold into marriage by impoverished parents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home