Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Good News/Bad News

Carey had her sonogram yesterday and it showed she was clear of all blot clots both in her superficial and her deep veins, so barring any other glitches and another recurrence ! she, Sarah, and John will be on the plane Thursday a.m. for D.C. Whoopee!

It's a rather dreary day today here in the Nation's Capital, overcast and rainy, but who cares, since I can look forward, again, to Carey, et al.'s imminent arrival?! Besides, we actually need some rain by now. And Jim just told me the shuttle landed safely, which I was glad to hear because I was convinced it was going to burn up, too, like the last one. Call me Pollyanna. My outlook was probably not enhanced by the fact that we found out a few days ago that we have some registered sex offenders living in the area, so I wrestled for several days, in my official capacity as Co-Captain for Neighborhood Watch of our block, with how to let the neighbors know without freaking everyone out. After talking with a number of other neighborhood safety officials and yesterday with the police head of the District's Sex Offenders Unit, I finally figured it out and gave my block the news. What I didn't say was that, although we should all be aware of these guys - and here they are all guys -the Sergeant said that, in many ways, he's actually more afraid of the people who have not yet been caught, tried, penalized, and registered...and he knows they are there. Yeah, me too. I did, however, urge the neighbors to check out the safety tips for parents, which are also on the District's Sex Offender Registry site, so hopefully everyone will do that and review these with their children. I believe the schools do some of this, also, so that's good.

Anyhow, we've pretty much recovered from our racy week-end, and I've got a new canvas on the easel, so I think it will be a pretty good day, even though the guys are back on our street digging it up again today to put in new water pipes and are awfully noisy. Oh, well. Non-leaded water is certainly a worthy cause.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home